SubjectRe: ext2/3: document conditions when reliable operation is possible
Date
Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> writes:

> [...]

Would be nice to have barriers in md and dm.

>> > This is not about barriers (that should be different topic). Atomic
>> > write means that either whole sector is written, or nothing at all is
>> > written. Because raid5 needs to update both master data and parity at
>> > the same time, I don't think it can guarantee this during powerfail.

Actualy raid5 should have no problem with a power failure during
normal operations of the raid. The parity block should get marked out
of sync, then the new data block should be written, then the new
parity block and then the parity block should be flaged in sync.

>> Good point, but I thought that's what journaling was for?
>
> I believe journaling operates on assumption that "either whole sector
> is written, or nothing at all is written".

The real problem comes in degraded mode. In that case the data block
(if present) and parity block must be written at the same time
atomically. If the system crashes after writing one but before writing
the other then the data block on the missng drive changes its
contents. And for example with a chunk size of 1MB and 16 disks that
could be 15MB away from the block you actualy do change. And you can
not recover that after a crash as you need both the original and
changed contents of the block.

So writing one sector has the risk of corrupting another (for the FS)
totally unconnected sector. No amount of journaling will help
there. The raid5 would need to do journaling or use battery backed
cache.

MfG
Goswin

  Last update: 2009-03-30 17:09    [W:0.268 / U:0.500 seconds]