    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.29
    Ric Wheeler wrote:
    > Mark Lord wrote:
    >> Ric Wheeler wrote:
    >> The kernel can crash, and the drives, in practice, will still
    >> flush their caches to media by themselves. Within a second or two.
    > Even with desktops, I am not positive that the drive write cache
    > survives a kernel crash without data loss. If I remember correctly,
    > Chris's tests used crashes (not power outages) to display the data
    > corruption that happened without barriers being enabled properly.

    Linux f/s barriers != drive write caches.

    Drive write caches are an almost total non-issue for desktop users,
    except on the (very rare) event of a total, sudden power failure
    during extended write outs.

    Very rare. Yes, a huge problem for server farms. No question.
    But the majority of Linux systems are probably (still) desktops/notebooks.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-03-30 16:47    [W:0.020 / U:4.988 seconds]