    SubjectRe: /proc/sys/net/ip*/conf/all/* does not actually affect interfaces
    also sprach Philipp Matthias Hahn <> [2009.03.03.0800 +0100]:
    > "all" on the other hand allways gets applied in addition to the current
    > setting, but it depends on the exact setting, if its ORed, ANDed, or
    > whatevered:

    Oh wow. This is very underdocumented. Thanks Philipp for taking the
    time to reply!

    The only reference I could find was

    which was unanswered.

    Can anyone recall the rationale for this somewhat complex-seeming

    I suppose the goal is to allow all/* to override (which would be the
    right solution). However, it depends on whether the default is 0 or
    1 on whether to AND or OR. Example:

    > log_martians OR

    default off, to turn it on globally, I just need to set all=1 and
    the OR takes care of it.

    > rp_filter AND

    default on, but to disable it globally (set all=0), it needs the

    > (see include/linux/inetdevice.h:83 for IN_DEV_{AND,OR,MAX}CONF)

    Unfortunately, that's just ipv4/conf/* and I cannot seem to find the
    ipv6/conf/* counterparts.

    > Putting a new value in "all" doesn't change the value you read
    > from "$interface", but it only gets computed and used internally.

    Hm, that clears it up... kinda. It does *not* explain by the RAs
    were still accepted (ipv6.conf.all.accept_ra and .autoconf where
    both 0), so unless those values are (wrongly) OR'd, I will need to
    investigate this.

    I will also work on patches to fix the documentation of this, and
    that involves the kernel source as well as e.g. the IPv6 HOWTO and
    other docs and manpages.

    But to do this, I'd really like to know a bit more about the design
    motivation. Anyone?

    martin | |

    before he died, rabbi zusya said: "in the world to come they will not
    ask me, 'why were you not moses?' they will ask me, 'why were you not

      Last update: 2009-03-03 20:31    [W:0.199 / U:34.384 seconds]