SubjectRe: fault.c cleanup, what else could it be

* Al Viro <viro@ZenIV.linux.org.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 03:13:55AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>
> > There is simply no excuse for ever having let that crap get there
> > into fs/proc/base.c. There is no excuse for ever letting that crap
> > grow. The fact that that crap is there is proof of systemic failure
> > over the years to keep that code clean.
>
> Nothing like proof by assertion, eh?

The proof is what i quoted - see below the full dump again. Those
are bona fide evidence of unclean code.

> > I dont really want to see "real work" done on code that was not
> > properly and cleanly finished in the first place.
>
> Tough. At the moment we have a rather unpleasant hole with
> tentative fix that touches fs/proc/base.c. Whether you want said
> work postponed until all whitespace wanking is done on file in
> question or not, I simply don't give a damn - getting rid of real
> bug takes precedence. Whitespace crap should be dealt with as we
> go through the functions containing such crap, religious bullshit
> nonwithstanding.

I am profoundly surprised that something as lightweight and simple
as a cleanup patch can make life difficult to you at all. How are
you handling them? Have you ever tried?

> And I very much object against completely unfounded assertions
> claiming that checkpatch noise makes a useful proxy for code
> quality. You keep making those again and again, without a shred
> of evidence to show.

You dont have to take my word for it. Look at the output below.
Check the code. Compare to the CodingStyle. If it does not match,
then it's unclean code that should have been rejected when it got
there. Some of that is ancient code, some of that is recent code.

It might be perfectly fine code otherwise, i made no assertion about
the quality of other code in that area.

Ingo

---------------->
ERROR: space required before the open parenthesis '('
#154: FILE: proc/base.c:154:
+ if(fs)

ERROR: code indent should use tabs where possible
#276: FILE: proc/base.c:276:
+ ^Ilen = mm->arg_end - mm->arg_start;$

ERROR: trailing whitespace
#277: FILE: proc/base.c:277:
+ $

ERROR: trailing whitespace
#280: FILE: proc/base.c:280:
+ $

ERROR: do not use C99 // comments
#283: FILE: proc/base.c:283:
+ // If the nul at the end of args has been overwritten, then

ERROR: do not use C99 // comments
#284: FILE: proc/base.c:284:
+ // assume application is using setproctitle(3).

WARNING: suspect code indent for conditional statements (16, 20)
#287: FILE: proc/base.c:287:
+ if (len < res) {
+ res = len;

WARNING: externs should be avoided in .c files
#452: FILE: proc/base.c:452:
+unsigned long badness(struct task_struct *p, unsigned long uptime);

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#722: FILE: proc/base.c:722:
+static ssize_t proc_info_read(struct file * file, char __user * buf,

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#725: FILE: proc/base.c:725:
+ struct inode * inode = file->f_path.dentry->d_inode;

ERROR: do not use assignment in if condition
#738: FILE: proc/base.c:738:
+ if (!(page = __get_free_page(GFP_TEMPORARY)))

ERROR: "(foo*)" should be "(foo *)"
#741: FILE: proc/base.c:741:
+ length = PROC_I(inode)->op.proc_read(task, (char*)page);

ERROR: "foo* bar" should be "foo *bar"
#795: FILE: proc/base.c:795:
+static int mem_open(struct inode* inode, struct file* file)

ERROR: "(foo*)" should be "(foo *)"
#797: FILE: proc/base.c:797:
+ file->private_data = (void*)((long)current->self_exec_id);

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#801: FILE: proc/base.c:801:
+static ssize_t mem_read(struct file * file, char __user * buf,

ERROR: trailing whitespace
#822: FILE: proc/base.c:822:
+ $

ERROR: trailing whitespace
#828: FILE: proc/base.c:828:
+ $

ERROR: "(foo*)" should be "(foo *)"
#829: FILE: proc/base.c:829:
+ if (file->private_data != (void*)((long)current->self_exec_id))

ERROR: trailing whitespace
#833: FILE: proc/base.c:833:
+ $

ERROR: trailing whitespace
#849: FILE: proc/base.c:849:
+ $

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#871: FILE: proc/base.c:871:
+static ssize_t mem_write(struct file * file, const char __user *buf,

ERROR: trailing whitespace
#909: FILE: proc/base.c:909:
+^I^Icount -= retval;^I^I^I$

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#1070: FILE: proc/base.c:1070:
+static ssize_t proc_loginuid_read(struct file * file, char __user * buf,

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#1073: FILE: proc/base.c:1073:

#1086: FILE: proc/base.c:1086:
+static ssize_t proc_loginuid_write(struct file * file, const char __user * buf,

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#1089: FILE: proc/base.c:1089:

#1107: FILE: proc/base.c:1107:
+ page = (char*)__get_free_page(GFP_TEMPORARY);

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#1135: FILE: proc/base.c:1135:
+static ssize_t proc_sessionid_read(struct file * file, char __user * buf,

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#1138: FILE: proc/base.c:1138:

#1157: FILE: proc/base.c:1157:
+static ssize_t proc_fault_inject_read(struct file * file, char __user * buf,

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#1175: FILE: proc/base.c:1175:
+static ssize_t proc_fault_inject_write(struct file * file,

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#1176: FILE: proc/base.c:1176:
+ const char __user * buf, size_t count, loff_t *ppos)

ERROR: space required before the open brace '{'
#1281: FILE: proc/base.c:1281:
+ if ((mm->num_exe_file_vmas == 0) && mm->exe_file){

ERROR: "(foo*)" should be "(foo *)"
#1363: FILE: proc/base.c:1363:
+ char *tmp = (char*)__get_free_page(GFP_TEMPORARY);

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#1385: FILE: proc/base.c:1385:
+static int proc_pid_readlink(struct dentry * dentry, char __user * buffer, int buflen)

ERROR: space required before the open parenthesis '('
#1424: FILE: proc/base.c:1424:
+ if(dumpable == 1)

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#1432: FILE: proc/base.c:1432:
+ struct inode * inode;

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#1539: FILE: proc/base.c:1539:
+static int pid_delete_dentry(struct dentry * dentry)

ERROR: code indent should use tabs where possible
#1732: FILE: proc/base.c:1732:
+ ^Istruct inode *inode;$

ERROR: code indent should use tabs where possible
#1733: FILE: proc/base.c:1733:
+ ^Istruct proc_inode *ei;$

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#1800: FILE: proc/base.c:1800:
+static int proc_readfd_common(struct file * filp, void * dirent,

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#1808: FILE: proc/base.c:1808:
+ struct files_struct * files;

ERROR: switch and case should be at the same indent
#1816: FILE: proc/base.c:1816:
+ switch (fd) {
+ case 0:
[...]
+ case 1:
[...]
+ default:

ERROR: code indent should use tabs where possible
#1919: FILE: proc/base.c:1919:
+ ^Istruct inode *inode;$

ERROR: code indent should use tabs where possible
#1920: FILE: proc/base.c:1920:
+ ^Istruct proc_inode *ei;$

ERROR: trailing whitespace
#1997: FILE: proc/base.c:1997:
+static struct dentry *proc_pident_lookup(struct inode *dir, $

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#2096: FILE: proc/base.c:2096:
+static ssize_t proc_pid_attr_read(struct file * file, char __user * buf,

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#2099: FILE: proc/base.c:2099:

#2108: FILE: proc/base.c:2108:
+ (char*)file->f_path.dentry->d_name.name,

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#2117: FILE: proc/base.c:2117:
+static ssize_t proc_pid_attr_write(struct file * file, const char __user * buf,

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#2120: FILE: proc/base.c:2120:

#2137: FILE: proc/base.c:2137:

#2146: FILE: proc/base.c:2146:

#2147: FILE: proc/base.c:2147:
+ (void*)page, count);

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#2170: FILE: proc/base.c:2170:
+static int proc_attr_dir_readdir(struct file * filp,

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#2171: FILE: proc/base.c:2171:
+ void * dirent, filldir_t filldir)

ERROR: space required after that ',' (ctx:VxV)
#2173: FILE: proc/base.c:2173:
+ return proc_pident_readdir(filp,dirent,filldir,
^

ERROR: space required after that ',' (ctx:VxV)
#2173: FILE: proc/base.c:2173:

#2174: FILE: proc/base.c:2174:
+ attr_dir_stuff,ARRAY_SIZE(attr_dir_stuff));
^

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"

#2564: FILE: proc/base.c:2564:

#2565: FILE: proc/base.c:2565:
+ tgid_base_stuff,ARRAY_SIZE(tgid_base_stuff));
^

ERROR: space required before the open brace '{'
#2573: FILE: proc/base.c:2573:
+static struct dentry *proc_tgid_base_lookup(struct inode *dir, struct dentry *dentry, struct nameidata *nd){

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#2678: FILE: proc/base.c:2678:
+ struct dentry * dentry,

ERROR: spaces required around that '|=' (ctx:VxV)
#2691: FILE: proc/base.c:2691:
+ inode->i_flags|=S_IMMUTABLE;
^

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#2791: FILE: proc/base.c:2791:
+int proc_pid_readdir(struct file * filp, void * dirent, filldir_t filldir)

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#2896: FILE: proc/base.c:2896:
+static int proc_tid_base_readdir(struct file * filp,

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#2897: FILE: proc/base.c:2897:

#2899: FILE: proc/base.c:2899:

#2899: FILE: proc/base.c:2899:

#2900: FILE: proc/base.c:2900:
+ tid_base_stuff,ARRAY_SIZE(tid_base_stuff));
^

ERROR: space required before the open brace '{'
#2903: FILE: proc/base.c:2903:
+static struct dentry *proc_tid_base_lookup(struct inode *dir, struct dentry *dentry, struct nameidata *nd){

ERROR: spaces required around that '|=' (ctx:VxV)
#2931: FILE: proc/base.c:2931:
+ inode->i_flags|=S_IMMUTABLE;
^

ERROR: "foo * bar" should be "foo *bar"
#3060: FILE: proc/base.c:3060:
+static int proc_task_readdir(struct file * filp, void * dirent, filldir_t filldir)

total: 85 errors, 39 warnings, 2 checks, 3147 lines checked

fs/proc/base.c has style problems, please review. If any of these errors
are false positives report them to the maintainer, see
CHECKPATCH in MAINTAINERS.

  Last update: 2009-03-30 03:53    [W:0.215 / U:0.388 seconds]