    SubjectRe: [patch] char/raw.c locking on error
    On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 00:36:08 +0300
    Michael Tokarev <> wrote:

    > Jonathan Corbet wrote:
    > > (I bet raw doesn't need BKL at all; I'll see if I can't find some time
    > > to have a look later on).
    > Is it still in use - the raw driver, that is? Nowadays,
    > every block device can be opened in direct mode by using
    > O_DIRECT - this is what raw does. I mean, is it worth
    > spending even more time on it?

    Certainly when I worked for a vendor there were some big proprietary
    applications using the raw interface both because it was an established
    API and also because it mirrorred various Unixen and relatives they also
    ran the apps on with the same basic code.

    Attempts to kill it were met with pretty forceful objections.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-03-28 01:25    [W:0.022 / U:62.700 seconds]