    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.29
    Theodore Tso wrote:
    > When I was growing up we were trained to *always* check error returns
    > from *all* system calls, and to *always* fsync() if it was critical
    > that the data survive a crash. That was what competent Unix
    > programmers did. And if you are always checking error returns, the
    > difference in the Lines of Code between doing it right and doing
    > really wasn't that big --- and again, back then fsync() wan't
    > expensive. Making fsync expensive was ext3's data=ordered mode's
    > fault.

    This is a fairly narrow view of correct and possible. How can you make
    "cat" fsync? grep? sort? How do they know they're not dealing with
    critical data? Apps in general don't know, because "criticality" is a
    property of the data itself and how its used, not the tools operating on it.

    My point isn't that "there should be a way of doing fsync from a shell
    script" (which is probably true anyway), but that authors can't
    generally anticipate when their program is going to be dealing with
    something important. The conservative approach would be to fsync all
    data on every close, but that's almost certainly the wrong thing for
    everyone.

    If the filesystem has reasonably strong inherent data-preserving
    properties, then that's much better than scattering fsync everywhere.

    fsync obviously makes sense in specific applications; it makes sense to
    fsync when you're guaranteeing that a database commit hits stable
    storage, etc. But generic tools can't reasonably perform fsyncs, and
    its not reasonable to say that "important data is always handled by
    special important data tools".

      Last update: 2009-03-27 22:15    [W:4.140 / U:0.036 seconds]