SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.29
On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 01:13:39AM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:

> There were plenty of applications that were written for Unix *and*
> Linux systems before ext3 existed, and they worked just fine. Back
> then, people were drilled into the fact that they needed to use
> fsync(), and fsync() wan't expensive, so there wasn't a big deal in
> terms of usability. The fact that fsync() was expensive was precisely
> because of ext3's data=ordered problem. Writing files safely meant
> that you had to check error returns from fsync() *and* close().

And now life is better. UNIX's error handling has always meant that it's
effectively impossible to ensure that data hits disk if you wander into
a variety of error conditions, and by and large it's simply not worth
worrying about them. You're generally more likely to hit a kernel bug or
suffer hardware failure than find an error condition that can actually
be handled in a sensible way, and the probability/effectiveness ratio is
sufficiently low that there are better ways to spend your time unless
you're writing absolutely mission critical code. So let's not focus on
the risk of data loss from failing to check certain error conditions.
It's a tiny risk compared to power loss.

> I can tell you quite authoritatively that we didn't implement
> data=ordered to make life easier for application writers, and
> application writers didn't come to ext3 developers asking for this
> convenience. It may have **accidentally** given them convenience that
> they wanted, but it also made fsync() slow.

It not only gave them that convenience, it *guaranteed* that
convenience. And with ext3 being the standard filesystem in the Linux
world, and every other POSIX system being by and large irrelevant[1],
the real world effect of that was that Linux gave you that guarantee.

> > I'm utterly and screamingly bored of this "Blame userspace" attitude.
>
> I'm not blaming userspace. I'm blaming ourselves, for implementing an
> attractive nuisance, and not realizing that we had implemented an
> attractive nuisance; which years later, is also responsible for these
> latency problems, both with and without fsync() ---- *and* which have
> also traied people into believing that fsync() is always expensive,
> and must be avoided at all costs --- which had not previously been
> true!

But you're still arguing that applications should start using fsync().
I'm arguing that not only is this pointless (most of this code will
never be "fixed") but it's also regressive. In most cases applications
don't want the guarantees that fsync() makes, and given that we're going
to have people running on ext3 for years to come they also don't want
the performance hit that fsync() brings. Filesystems should just do the
right thing, rather than losing people's data and then claiming that
it's fine because POSIX said they could.

> If I had to do it all over again, I would have argued with Stephen
> about making data=writeback the default, which would have provided
> behaviour on crash just like ext2, except that we wouldn't have to
> fsck the partition afterwards. Back then, people lived with the
> potential security exposure on a crash, and they lived with the fact
> that you had to use fsync(), or manually type "sync", if you wanted to
> guarantee that data would be safely written to disk. And you know
> what? Things had been this way with Unix systems for 31 years before
> ext3 came on the scene, and things worked pretty well during those
> three decades.

Well, no. fsync() didn't appear in early Unix, so what people were
actually willing to live with was restoring from backups if the system
crashed. I'd argue that things are somewhat better these days,
especially now that we're used to filesystems that don't require us to
fsync(), close(), fsync the directory and possibly jump through even
more hoops if faced with a pathological interpretation of POSIX.
Progress is a good thing. The initial behaviour of ext4 in this respect
wasn't progress.

And, really, I'm kind of amused at someone arguing for a given behaviour
on the basis of POSIX while also suggesting that sync() is in any way
helpful for guaranteeing that data is on disk.

> So again, let it make it clear, I'm not "blaming userspace". I'm
> blaming ext3 data=ordered mode. But it's trained application writers
> to program systems a certain way, and it's trained them to assume that
> fsync() is always evil, and they outnumber us kernel programmers, and
> so we are where we are. And data=ordered mode is also responsible for
> these write latency problems which seems to make Ingo so cranky ---
> and rightly so. It all comes from the same source.

No. People continue to use fsync() where fsync() should be used - for
guaranteeing that given information has hit disk. The problem is that
you're arguing that application should use fsync() even when they don't
want or need that guarantee. If anything, ext3 has been helpful in
encouraging people to only use fsync() when they really need to - and
that's a win for everyone.

[1] MacOS has users, but it's not a significant market for pure POSIX
applications so isn't really an interesting counterexample
--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

  Last update: 2009-03-27 07:01    [W:0.354 / U:0.492 seconds]