    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.29
    Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > So the fact is, "people should always use fsync" simply isn't a realistic
    > expectation, nor is it historically accurate. Claiming it is is just
    > obviously bogus. And claiming that people _should_ do it is crazy, since
    > it performs badly enough to simply not be realistic.
    >
    > Alternatives should be looked at. For desktop apps, the best alternatives
    > are likely simply stronger default consistency guarantees. Exactly the
    > "we don't guarantee that your data hits the disk, but we do guarantee that
    > if you renamed on top of another file, you'll not have lost _both_
    > contents".

    On the other side of the coin, major desktop apps Firefox and
    Thunderbird already use it: Firefox uses sqlite to log open web pages
    in case of a crash, and sqlite in turn sync's its journal as any good
    database app should. [I think tytso just got them to use fdatasync and
    a couple other improvements, to make this not-quite-so-bad]

    Thunderbird hits the disk for each email received -- always wonderful
    with those 1000-email git-commit-head downloads... :)

    So, arguments about "people should..." aside, existing desktops apps
    _do_ fsync and we get to deal with the bad performance :/

    Jeff

      Last update: 2009-03-27 20:47    [W:0.065 / U:2.256 seconds]