    SubjectRe: ext3 IO latency measurements
    Alan Cox wrote:
    >> And what's the argument for not doing it in the kernel?
    >>
    >> The fact is, "atime" by default is just wrong.
    >
    > It probably was a wrong default - twenty years ago. Actually it may well
    > have been a wrong default in Unix v6 8)
    >
    > However
    > - atime behaviour is SuS required

    so I propose an other mount option along to strictatime:
    nowatime: it give the actual time as atime:
    it is totally useless, but fast *and* POSIX compatible:
    - no disk writes on accesses
    - POSIX doesn't mandate the behaviour of other processes, so
    we simulate that fs are scanned at every fs-tick.
    - IMHO more programs break, but in this case only
    the POSIX incompatible programs.

    > - there are users with systems out there using atime and dependant on
    > proper atime

    This is the real problem.

    ciao
    cate

      Last update: 2009-03-27 13:09    [W:4.202 / U:0.208 seconds]