SubjectRE: recommended programming practices for writing (was Linux 2.6.29)
Date

>> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Adam Turk wrote:
>>
>> I have been reading the Linux 2.6.29 thread with interest. I have written several (10 or so) C programs that write large amounts of data (between 1 and 2 GB file sizes are common). A snippet of code looks like this:
>>
>> I learned C about 15 years ago and there was no mention of a fsync. My C book doesn't mention fsync either. Granted I have written only 25-30 applications in the last 15 years or so so I am not an expert C programmer.
>>

> Your question is really off-topic for the Linux Kernel mailing list,
> but let me point you somewhere else:
>
> There is (1) the C library and (2) the functions provided by your
> operating system. Linux follows to some extend the POSIX functions for
> (2).
>
> A good read is the book "Linux Systems Programming" if you want to go
> beyond what the C library offers, for starters.

I don't think it is really off topic as in the original topic thread there were comments about lazy programmers who didn't write their code properly. Noone who made those comments gave examples of bad and good code so I decided to ask.

Thank you for the recommendation. I will check the local bookstores.

Thanks,
Adam