    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.29
    On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Jeff Garzik <> wrote:
    > Then you have just reinvented the transactional userspace API that people
    > often want to replace POSIX API with.  Maybe one day they will succeed.
    > But "POSIX API replacement" is an area never short of proposals... :)

    Well, I think the goal is not to *replace* the POSIX API or even
    provide "transactional" guarantees. The performance penalty for
    atomic transactions is pretty high, and most programs (like GIT) don't
    really give a damn, as they provide that on a higher level.

    It's like the difference between a modern SMP system that supports
    memory barriers and write snooping and one of the theoretical
    "transactional memory" designs that have never caught on.

    To be honest I think we could provide much better data consistency
    guarantees and remove a lot of fsync() calls with just a basic
    per-filesystem barrier() call.

    Kyle Moffett

      Last update: 2009-03-26 04:05    [W:0.019 / U:0.456 seconds]