SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.29
On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 16:25 -0400, Ric Wheeler wrote:
> Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > Ric Wheeler wrote:> And, as I am sure that you do know, to add insult
> > to injury, FLUSH_CACHE
> >> is per device (not file system).
> >>
> >> When you issue an fsync() on a disk with multiple partitions, you
> >> will flush the data for all of its partitions from the write cache....
> >
> > SCSI'S SYNCHRONIZE CACHE command already accepts an (LBA, length)
> > pair. We could make use of that.
> >
> > And I bet we could convince T13 to add FLUSH CACHE RANGE, if we could
> > demonstrate clear benefit.
> >
> > Jeff
>
> How well supported is this in SCSI? Can we try it out with a commodity
> SAS drive?

What do you mean by well supported? The way the SCSI standard is
written, a device can do a complete cache flush when a range flush is
requested and still be fully standards compliant. There's no easy way
to tell if it does a complete cache flush every time other than by
taking the firmware apart (or asking the manufacturer).

James

  Last update: 2009-03-25 22:25    [W:0.276 / U:1.616 seconds]