    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.29

    On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Kyle Moffett wrote:

    > Regardless of any journalling, a power-fail or a crash is almost
    > certainly going to cause "data loss" of some variety.

    The point is, if you write your metadata earlier (say, every 5 sec) and
    the real data later (say, every 30 sec), you're actually MORE LIKELY to
    see corrupt files than if you try to write them together.

    And if you write your data _first_, you're never going to see corruption
    at all.

    This is why I absolutely _detest_ the idiotic ext3 writeback behavior. It
    literally does everything the wrong way around - writing data later than
    the metadata that points to it. Whoever came up with that solution was a
    moron. No ifs, buts, or maybes about it.

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-03-24 20:29    [W:0.020 / U:0.392 seconds]