    >>   c) udev may not always be able to change a device's name.  If udev
    >>      uses the kernel assignment namespace (ethN), then a rename of
    >>      eth0->eth1 may require renaming eth1->eth0 (or something else).
    >>      Udev operates on a single device instance at a time, it becomes
    >>      difficult to switch names around for multiple devices, within
    >>      the single namespace.
    > I would classify this as a bug, especially the fact that udev doesn't
    > undo a failed rename, so you end up with ethX_rename. Virtual devices
    > using the same MAC address trigger this reliably unless you add
    > exceptions to the udev rules.

    This is handled in most cases. Virtual interfaces claiming a
    configured name and created before the "hardware" interface are not
    handled, that's right, but pretty uncommon.

    > You state that it only operates on one device at a time. If that is
    > correct, I'm not sure why the _rename suffix is used at all instead
    > of simply trying to assign the final name, which would avoid this
    > problem.

    How? The kernel assignes the names and the configured names may
    conflict. So you possibly can not rename a device to the target name
    when it's name is already taken. I don't see how to avoid this.

      Last update: 2009-03-24 17:33    [W:0.020 / U:62.248 seconds]