    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.29

    * Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:

    > > > I have not had this problem since I applied Arjan's (for some reason
    > > > repeatedly rejected) patch to change the ioprio of the various writeback
    > > > daemons. Under some loads changing to the noop I/O scheduler also seems
    > > > to help (as do most of the non default ones)
    > >
    > > (link would be useful)
    >

    > "Give kjournald a IOPRIO_CLASS_RT io priority"
    >
    > October 2007 (yes its that old)

    thx. A more recent submission from Arjan would be:

    http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/10/1/405

    Resolution was that Tytso indicated it went into some sort of ext4
    patch queue:

    | I've ported the patch to the ext4 filesystem, and dropped it into
    | the unstable portion of the ext4 patch queue.
    |
    | ext4: akpm's locking hack to fix locking delays

    but 6 months down the line and i can find no trace of this upstream
    anywhere.

    <let-me-rant-too>

    The thing is ... this is a _bad_ ext3 design bug affecting ext3
    users in the last decade or so of ext3 existence. Why is this issue
    not handled with the utmost high priority and why wasnt it fixed 5
    years ago already? :-)

    It does not matter whether we have extents or htrees when there are
    _trivially reproducible_ basic usability problems with ext3.

    Ingo

      Last update: 2009-03-24 11:35    [W:0.023 / U:59.608 seconds]