    Subjectunprivileged mounts vs. rmdir (was: VFS, NFS security bug? ...)
    [CCs trimmed]

    On Mon, 16 Mar 2009, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
    > Quoting J. Bruce Fields (bfields@fieldses.org):
    > > special privilege, so don't consult filesystem permissions (do I have
    > > that right? What happened to the attempt to allow ordinary users to
    > > mount?).
    >
    > Well, they keep getting stalled because we don't have a good answer for
    > what to do about the fact that an unprivileged user can make trees
    > undeletable by pinning them with mounts. (Miklos and Eric cc'd in case
    > I didn't explain that well enough).

    That's correct.

    The best answer I can come up with is to allow rmdir/unlink to
    automatically umount trees from their respective dentries. Obviously
    this can't be done for regular (privileged) mounts, which must keep
    returning EBUSY in such situations.

    But for unprivileged mounts I can't see any fundamental issue with
    such an approach.

    Does anyone see a problem with this? Is there a better solution?

    Thanks,
    Miklos

      Last update: 2009-03-23 14:25    [W:0.020 / U:0.736 seconds]