Subjectunprivileged mounts vs. rmdir (was: VFS, NFS security bug? ...)
[CCs trimmed]

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting J. Bruce Fields (bfields@fieldses.org):
> > special privilege, so don't consult filesystem permissions (do I have
> > that right? What happened to the attempt to allow ordinary users to
> > mount?).
>
> Well, they keep getting stalled because we don't have a good answer for
> what to do about the fact that an unprivileged user can make trees
> undeletable by pinning them with mounts. (Miklos and Eric cc'd in case
> I didn't explain that well enough).

That's correct.

The best answer I can come up with is to allow rmdir/unlink to
automatically umount trees from their respective dentries. Obviously
this can't be done for regular (privileged) mounts, which must keep
returning EBUSY in such situations.

But for unprivileged mounts I can't see any fundamental issue with
such an approach.

Does anyone see a problem with this? Is there a better solution?

Thanks,
Miklos

  Last update: 2009-03-23 14:25    [W:0.104 / U:0.360 seconds]