SubjectRe: Severe data corruption with ext4
On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 10:10:43AM +0100, Richard wrote:
> > That's another indication of data corruption in inode 1022.  This
> > could be hardware induced corruption; or it could be a software
> > induced error.  There's been one other user with a RAID that had
> > reported a strange corruption near the beginning of the filesystem, in
> > the inode table.  How big is your filesystem, exactly?
>
> 5,158,556 K.

OK, so about 5 gigs; not all that big at all. I was starting to worry
that maybe we had some 32-bit signed/unsigned problem, but that would
be showing up in the 8+ TB range.

> Attached, as well as the itable image.

I've analyzed the itable image, and it looks valid; in particular, I
didn't see any evidence of corruption in inode 1022.

> By the way, yesterday's fsck on another file system (/home) placed
> almost 8,500 (!) files and directories in lost+found. I have not a
> single error message regarding this device in my log files. All
> files/directories were originally placed in the same parent directory.

There is something very wrong going on here, and I'm at a loss why no
one else is reporting anything like what you are seeing.

Are you able to run a stock, unmodified mainline kernel on your
system? At this point I'd really like to see if the problems you are
seeing can be replicated with a stock 2.6.29-rc8 kernel.

- Ted