SubjectRe: [patch 3/3] mm: keep pages from unevictable mappings off the LRU lists
Date
> Hmm,,
>
> This patch is another thing unlike previous series patches.
> Firstly, It looked good to me.
>
> I think add_to_page_cache_lru have to become a fast path.
> But, how often would ramfs and shmem function be called ?
>
> I have a concern for this patch to add another burden.
> so, we need any numbers for getting pros and cons.
>
> Any thoughts ?

this is the just reason why current code don't call add_page_to_unevictable_list().
add_page_to_unevictable_list() don't use pagevec. it is needed for avoiding race.

then, if readahead path (i.e. add_to_page_cache_lru()) use add_page_to_unevictable_list(),
it can cause zone->lru_lock contention storm.

then, if nobody have good performance result, I don't ack this patch.

> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 5:13 AM, Johannes Weiner <hannes@cmpxchg.org> wrote:
> > Check if the mapping is evictable when initially adding page cache
> > pages to the LRU lists. ?If that is not the case, add them to the
> > unevictable list immediately instead of leaving it up to the reclaim
> > code to move them there.
> >
> > This is useful for ramfs and locked shmem which mark whole mappings as
> > unevictable and we know at fault time already that it is useless to
> > try reclaiming these pages.

  Last update: 2009-03-23 03:25    [W:2.049 / U:0.516 seconds]