    SubjectRe: lockdep and threaded IRQs (was: ...)
    Date
    On Monday 02 March 2009, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
    > > But if that's what is keeping you from fixing the lockdep bug,
    > > why haven't you submitted patches to remove IRQF_DISABLED from
    > > the kernel, and update all the drivers relying on IRQs being
    > > enabled when their handlers run?
    >
    > I did so today. Just didn't realize things actually relied on it since
    > lockdep turned them off and my system has been working fine.

    That patch did no such thing. It added a BUG_ON(),
    which has nothing to do with removing IRQF_DISABLED.

    > Your driver needs threaded interrupts, Thomas is working on that now,
    > and I saw a conversion of your driver to use that.

    Thomas hasn't yet touched the issue of how to chain such IRQs
    though ... I consider his v2 patches a decent start, with some
    limitations that could be attributed to an x86 focus.

    > IDE PIO can hopefully also be converted to threaded interrupts.

    I have worked with ARMs with IDE support. That's become
    rare in new chips though, even for CF cards; it needs too
    many signal wires.

    - Dave

      Last update: 2009-03-03 00:31    [W:4.109 / U:0.220 seconds]