SubjectRe: [patch 0/5] Intel Poulsbo/Morrestown DRM driver and DRM core changes
Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 12:03 -0400, Sindhudweep Sarkar wrote:
>> This might be the opinion of a completely non educated end user but it
>> seems that an intel specific drm and other bits (xorg, mesa) would be
>> somewhat of a maintenance waste.
>>
>> TI-OMAP 3xxx and a couple of other arm processors use similar SGX-5xx
>> graphics cores. IIRC arm is often little endian so perhaps a unified
>> driver would be easier in the long term.
>
> Long term a unified driver would be very nice to have and nobody
> disagrees with that. Things don't happen overnight and you have to take
> smaller steps to get there. This proposal is one step on a road that may
> lead to a driver for the TI part too. It will need someone in the ARM
> community to step up and write the ARM specific bits.

Nokia's written and open-sourced some related code for DRM.

My university is paying me to work on an ARM-based SoC handheld with an
SGX core, and I might be more into this later. (Y'know, once the device
is actually out the door.)

~ C.

  Last update: 2009-03-19 21:19    [W:0.083 / U:8.632 seconds]