SubjectRe: [Patch 2/2] tracepoints for softirq entry/exit - tracepoints
* Steven Rostedt (rostedt@goodmis.org) wrote:

> > > The TP_FMT is only used by those tracers that want to use it. Any tracer
> > > can still hook directly to the trace point and do what every they want.
> > >
> > > -- Steve
> > >

> > By doing so, you are removing the ability to use the TP_FMT information
> > to perform high-speed system-wide tracing. I thought the goal was to
> > create a unified buffering, but sadly I don't see the high-speed
> > requirements being part of that plan.
>
> TP_FMT has nothing to do with the unified buffering. The unified buffer
> does not even know about it. But if you want high-speed event tracing,
> that is what the TRACE_EVENT was created for.
>
> The TRACE_FORMAT was made for things that will be recording string
> information anyway, and recording a string into the buffer via memcpy or a
> sprintf format (binary printk) doesn't make much difference.

Are you saying that dynamically parsing a format string in a binary
printk has the same performance impact as a memcpy ? I would be very
interested to see your benchmarks.

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers

  Last update: 2009-03-16 20:25    [W:0.053 / U:0.292 seconds]