SubjectRe: ATA support for 4k sector size
Greg Freemyer wrote:
> If the reported geometry of these drives was changed to have sectors /
> track be a multiple of 8, wouldn't that fix most of the issues.
>
> ie. If the drive were to report 56 sectors per track, then a
> traditional partitioning tool would start the first partition as
> sector 56 and a Vista like partitioning tool would place the first
> partition at sector 2048. Both would have the same 4K sector
> alignment.
>
> If my logic is sound, anyway to get this recommendation upstream to
> hardware manufacturers. It seems like an almost trivial change for
> them.
>
> FYI: It sounds to me like partitioning tools should totally drop
> efforts to align with cylinders, instead they should start asking what
> the unit of atomic read/writes is at the physical layer and if any
> offsets are needed to align the partition with the atomic write areas.
>
> That would fit better for both SSD technology and for this 4K sectors
> issue than trying to continue to support cylinders at all.

As long as BIOSes played along with it (which some of them may not do --
remember the geometry that matters is the one reported by the BIOS)
However, it definitely would be a major step in the right direction, as
it would let *most* systems Do The Right Thing instead of weirdly
misaligning the partitions and trying to cope with that.

-hpa

  Last update: 2009-03-16 17:31    [W:0.107 / U:0.288 seconds]