SubjectRe: lis3's ACPI dependency
On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 07:28:01PM +0100, Éric Piel wrote:
> > are there any plans to free the lis3 driver from its ACPI dependency?
> > In fact, this device is I2C/SPI connected which the ACPI layer seems to
> > hide from the driver, but to use it on embedded devices, the bus drivers
> > must be used directly and the dependeny seems entirely unnecessary
> > anyway.
> >
> > Also I got the feeling that using a globally exported 'adev' symbol all
> > over the different layers is not the best practice - I suspect all the
> > occasions could be solved with private pointers and/or container_of().
> > Isn't there any cleanup pending?
> Hi Daniel,
> Actually, the hp_accel.c file is dedicated to the acpi part. The
> lis3lv02d.c file is supposed to be bus agnostic. In practice I agree
> it's not completely true, but this is mainly because for now there is
> only one bus supported (ACPI) and therefore the work for making it
> completely bus-independent is not yet worthy. As soon as someone is
> interested in writing a I²C/SPI interface it will become much more
> apparent what has to be generalized.

Well, it's clear already - there must be no occurance of apci specific
structs and calls in lis3lv02d.c and all the calls to the bus type need
to go thru a generic interface which is - as you say - bus independent.

> Indeed, as you noticed, the main work left to do is to generalize
> acpi_lis3lv02d (adev) to something ACPI independent. I'd say this could
> be done simply by changing the signature of the four callback functions
> and having device being just a void*.
>
> If you are willing to write one of the I²C/SPI interfaces, I'll be happy
> to support you.

Ok, I'll start and seperate things then but will need you help with
testing as I don't have the hardware the driver was written for
originally. I do have, in turn, a custom board with this chip connected
via SPI.

Is there any patch pending on top of Linus' current git head that I
should base my patches on?

Thanks,
Daniel