SubjectRe: [RFC git tree] Userspace RCU (urcu) for Linux (repost)
From
On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 11:58 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers
<compudj@krystal.dyndns.org> wrote:
> I figured out I needed some userspace RCU for the userspace tracing part
> of LTTng (for quick read access to the control variables) to trace
> userspace pthread applications. So I've done a quick-and-dirty userspace
> RCU implementation.
>
> It works so far, but I have not gone through any formal verification
> phase. It seems to work on paper, and the tests are also OK (so far),
> but I offer no guarantee for this 300-lines-ish 1-day hack. :-) If you
> want to comment on it, it would be welcome. It's a userland-only
> library. It's also currently x86-only, but only a few basic definitions
> must be adapted in urcu.h to port it.

I have actually been fiddling with an RCU-esque design for a
multithreaded event-driven userspace server process. Essentially all
threads using RCU-protected data run through a central event loop
which drives my entirely-userspace RCU state machine. I actually have
a cooperative scheduler for groups of events to allow me to
load-balance a large number of clients without the full overhead of a
kernel thread per client. This does rely on
clock_gettime(CLOCK_THREAD_CPUTIME_ID) returning a useful monotonic
value, however.

By building the whole internal system as an
event-driven-state-machine, I don't need to keep a stack for blocked
events. The events which do large amounts of work call a
"need_resched()"-ish function every so often, and if it returns true
they return up the stack. Relatively few threads (1 per physical CPU,
plus a few for blocking event polling) are needed to completely
saturate the system.

For RCU I simply treat event-handler threads the way the kernel treats
CPUs, I report a Quiescent State every so often in-between processing
events.

The event-handling mechanism is entirely agnostic to the way that
events are generated. It has built-in mechanisms for FD, signal, and
AIO-based events, and it's trivial to add another event-polling thread
for GTK/Qt/etc.

I'm still only halfway through laying out the framework for this
library, but once it's done I'll make sure to post it somewhere for
those who are interested.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

  Last update: 2009-02-07 23:59    [W:0.152 / U:0.128 seconds]