SubjectRe: mmotm 2009-02-02-17-12 uploaded (x86/nopmd etc.)

* Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 20:18:04 +0100
> Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:
>

> > * Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@oracle.com> wrote:

> > > There seems to be some kind of #include hell here. I moved a few lines
> > > around in include/asm-generic/pgtable-nopmd.h & that makes the build
> > > get further, but it still has header problems (BUG() is undefined).
> >
> > problem caused by which commit?
> >

> mm-unify-some-pmd_-functions-and-move-them-in-a-distinct-include.patch
>
> This is getting painful.

the include file spaghetti is ... interesting there, and it's historic.

I could blame it on highmem, PAE or paravirt - but i'll only blame it on
paravirt for now because those developers are still around! ;-)

Jeremy, any ideas how to reduce the historic dependency mess in that area?
I think we should go on three routes at once:

- agressive splitup and separation of type definitions from method
declaration (+ inline definitions). The spinlock_types.h / spinlock.h
splitup was really nice in solving such dependency problems.

- uninlining of methods: instead of macro-ing them - wherever possible.
It's really hard to mess up type + externs headers - while headers with
inlines and macros mixed in get painful quickly.

- removal of spurious pile of dozens of #include lines in header files.

If anyone sends such patches i could try them on the -tip build machinery
and help shake out collateral damage - which there will be for sure.

Ingo