SubjectRe: [rfc] headers_check cleanups break the whole world
Ingo Molnar wrote:

> Well, the intention is to clean up the situation somewhat.
>
> __KERNEL_STRICT_NAMES is a really old construct that has been
> with us forever. It's not widely used ... i dont know how widely
> it's being relied on. Sam, should we get rid of it, or should
> user-space define __KERNEL_STRICT_NAMES in cases the glibc
> definition collides with the kernel's definition?
>
> Note that if user-space is "playing utterly stupid games", it
> can cause trouble no matter what scheme we pick - so we have to
> filter out the reasonable problems that we should and can fix in
> the kernel.

__KERNEL_STRICT_NAMES is an anachronism that was put in to not break
libc5. It has long outlived its usefulness, together with all the other
libc5 support crap in the kernel headers -- which do nothing but make
the kernel headers useless for any sane purposes.

Please let's just axe it.

-hpa

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans