    SubjectRe: [RFD] Automatic suspend
    On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Rafael J. Wysocki <> wrote:
    > * Introduce /sys/power/sleep that will work like /sys/power/state, but:
    > - First, it will call ->acknowledge() for each driver (via bus types) to
    > check if any of them wants to postpone the suspend (this will prevent tasks
    > from being frozen unnecessarily if it is known in advance that the suspend
    > should not happen at the moment).
    > - Next, it will check the "I_do_not_want_automatic_suspend_to_occur" flag
    > of each process and the suspend will be aborted if it is true for any of
    > them (quite frankly, I think that should be integrated with the freezer,
    > in particular the tasks that have TIF_FREEZE set shouldn't be able to set
    > this flag and it should be checked in the freezer loop for every task with
    > TIF_FREEZE unset).
    > - Next, it will proceed with suspending just like /sys/power/state does (the
    > drivers that missed the opportunity to abort the suspend by returning
    > 'false' from ->acknowledge() can still abort the suspend by failing their
    > ->suspend() routines).
    > Then, the decision making logic will be able to use /sys/power/sleep whenever
    > it wishes to and the kernel will be able to refuse to suspend if it's not
    > desirable at the moment.

    Then, for a userspace process handling input events:

    1) Unset "no-suspend flag"
    2) Poll event device
    3) When the poll returns true, set the "no-suspend flag"
    4) Read the event device and process the event(s)

    The event driver would responsible for atomically preventing suspend
    from the moment a button is pressed until it is actually delivered to
    a userspace process. Since at that time the userspace process will be
    preventing suspend, there will be no window in which we could go to
    sleep with pending events.

    Kyle Moffett

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-02-20 17:09    [W:0.021 / U:9.864 seconds]