SubjectRe: [rfd] function-graph augmentation
On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 09:56:27AM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 10:01:44PM +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I was thinking how best to augment the function graph tracer with
> > > various information. It seemed useful to add argument/return tracer
> > > entries which, when found after a function entry, or function exit entry
> > > would be rendered in the trace.
> > >
> > > So supposing something like;
> > >
> > > 3) | handle_mm_fault() {
> > > 3) | count_vm_event() {
> > > 3) 0.243 us | test_ti_thread_flag();
> > > 3) 0.754 us | }
> > > 3) 0.249 us | pud_alloc();
> > > 3) 0.251 us | pmd_alloc();
> > > 3) | __do_fault() {
> > > 3) | filemap_fault() {
> > > 3) | find_lock_page() {
> > > 3) | find_get_page() {
> > > 3) 0.248 us | test_ti_thread_flag();
> > > 3) 0.844 us | }
> > > 3) 1.341 us | }
> > > 3) 1.837 us | }
> > > 3) 0.275 us | _spin_lock();
> > > 3) 0.257 us | page_add_file_rmap();
> > > 3) 0.233 us | native_set_pte_at();
> > > 3) | _spin_unlock() {
> > > 3) 0.248 us | test_ti_thread_flag();
> > > 3) 0.742 us | }
> > > 3) | unlock_page() {
> > > 3) 0.243 us | page_waitqueue();
> > > 3) 0.237 us | __wake_up_bit();
> > > 3) 1.209 us | }
> > > 3) 6.274 us | }
> > > 3) 8.806 us | }
> > >
> > > Say we found:
> > >
> > > trace_graph_entry -- handle_mm_fault()
> > > trace_func_arg -- address:0xffffffff
> > > trace_func_arg -- write_access:1
> > >
> > > We'd render:
> > >
> > > 3) | handle_mm_fault(.address=0xffffffff, .write_access=1) {
> >

> > Good solution, except that I wonder about preemption races.
> > Imagine the following scenario:
> >
> > CPU#0
> > trace_graph_entry -> commit to ring_buffer CPU#0
> >
> > //entering a the function
> > //task is scheduled out and reschduled later on CPU#1
> >
> > CPU#1
> > trace_func_arg -> commit to ring_buffer CPU#1
> >
> > Later on the graph output process:
> >
> > print("func(")
> > search_for_args on buffer but don't find them because they are another
> > cpu ring_buffer.
> >
> > Well I guess it should be rare, but it can happen.
> > Another race will be interrupts. And interrupt can fill a lot
> > of entries between a trace entry and the parameters.
> >
> > And yet another thing: the ring buffer does not allow yet to
> > peek more than one entry further. But, I guess it doesn't
> > require a lot of change.
> >
> > The other solution would be to have a hashtable of functions
> > for which we want to store the parameters where we can find
> > the number of parameters to store, and their type. This way we
> > could atomically submit those parameter entries and be more
> > sure they will follow the current one.
>
> Hm, i dont really like this approach of doing it via the
> ring-buffer - it's fundamentally fragile. There's two solutions
> [...]

Those two approach will be each differently powerful and scalable.
The first will help to eventually output complex parameters such as
structures pointers. But it will act only on functions which will have those tracepoints.

The second will let most of the kernel functions having their parameters output
but with less precision, since only very simple types such as int,long,char etc...will
have an interesting output.

It would be good if both can be complementary.

  Last update: 2009-02-20 15:39    [W:0.070 / U:0.040 seconds]