    SubjectRe: 2.6.29 regression? Bonding tied to IPV6 in 29-rc5
    We have the same issue with the qeth_l3 driver (it requires IPv6 symbols).
    Distributors compile with IPv6 but some customes want to disable IPv6 without
    building a custom kernel. If there would be a generic solution to address
    this kind of runtime IPv6 dependencies this would be creat. schrieb:
    > On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 14:29:46 PST, David Miller said:
    >> Don't configure ipv6 into your kernel, really.
    >> There is no other way to handle this. If we want to support
    >> IPV6 layer things in the bonding driver, it is going to
    >> call helper functions in the ipv6 module and therefore must
    >> be able to load it and use functions in it.
    > What does a poor corporate user do if they're running a distro kernel that
    > was built with CONFIG_IPV6, but local security policy says "Disable IPv6
    > because we don't do it yet, or because it breaks mission-critical software
    > package XYZ?" There's a *lot* of people who implement that by the "block
    > the ipv6 module from loading" trick. And building a kernel that doesn't
    > include IPv6 may not be feasible due to vendor certification issues...
    > Heck, *I*'m almost in that boat - probably need to use bonded ethernet on some
    > servers because we can't get 10GigE, but the software used in the project the
    > servers were bought for blows chunks if it gets a whiff of an IPv6 address.
    > Ended up spending 3 weeks doing a massive kludgery of one sort in DNS for the
    > rest of the world, and equally massive lying in /etc/hosts for the hosts...
    > (Don't ask - it was long and ugly, and just disabling the module would have
    > saved me about 2.95 weeks of work, so I know where those people are coming
    > from...)

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-02-18 12:23    [W:0.031 / U:7.392 seconds]