    SubjectRe: git-send-email
    Peter Zijlstra wrote:
    > On Sun, 2009-02-15 at 18:20 +0100, Stefan Richter wrote:
    >> from the manual:
    >> --chain-reply-to, --no-chain-reply-to
    >> [...] Default is the value of the sendemail.chainreplyto
    >> configuration value; if that is unspecified, default to
    >> --chain-reply-to.
    >> Everybody who isn't afraid of configuration files can implement his
    >> preferred default easily.
    > Yep, trouble is with all those folks who
    > 1) don't know about the option
    > 2) aren't educated to know its a good idea to use it
    > So by changing the default we're better off all around.

    There will always be trouble with these folks. ;-)

    Two more thoughts: Since git-send-email puts sequence information into
    the Subject header, additional sequence info in the References header is
    redundant. It is sufficient that the References or In-Reply-To header
    carries information about which mail thread a posting belongs to.

    On the other hand, --no-chain-reply-to makes less sense if the thread
    starts with a 1/n posting instead of an introductory 0/n one.

    (What if git-send-email could optionally generate a 0/n posting with
    shortlog and combined diffstat as default content?)
    Stefan Richter

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-02-15 20:29    [W:0.021 / U:6.836 seconds]