    SubjectRe: contact problem? (was Re: Spurious Filesystem corruption with ext3 + large (<400GB) hw RAID ...)
    On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 8:29 AM, Manfred Wassmann
    <> wrote:
    > On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Ray Lee <> wrote:
    >> Huh. It may be related to whatever kernel version Ubuntu uses to boot
    >> up the install media. Try a different version of Ubuntu (older, newer
    >> if a newer one exists) to see if it has the same problem.
    > Thank you for your notice but as I mentioned the problem occurred
    > first with my custom built kernel and the Ubuntu installation disk was
    > used only to reproduce the error -- Ubuntu is not what I use anyhow,
    > I'm on Debian since I switched from Slackware in 1995 ;-)
    > But now it looks like we had an exotic hardware problem here. Just
    > before the weekend the RAID controller reported a degraded array and
    > switched to the hotspare disk. On Monday the original array was
    > recreated and everything worked fine until Tuesday morning when the
    > array again was degraded. But then since the disk was checked and
    > reinserted into the array all problems are gone :-\
    > Is it possible that such a problem is caused by bad contact within the
    > drive bay connector?
    > The reason why it occurred with ext3 only might then be that ext3
    > stores it's backup superblocks at addresses which are otherwise unused
    > by a largely empty filesystem.

    (Ah, I missed this message first time around. Please always do a
    reply-to-all for lkml.)

    Bad contacts, sure, or (more likely) a marginal power supply? Can you
    try a different enclosure, or a different power supply for the

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-02-14 18:43    [W:0.023 / U:22.240 seconds]