SubjectRe: contact problem? (was Re: Spurious Filesystem corruption with ext3 + large (<400GB) hw RAID ...)
From
On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 8:29 AM, Manfred Wassmann
<tux.wassmann@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Ray Lee <ray-lk@madrabbit.org> wrote:
>
>> Huh. It may be related to whatever kernel version Ubuntu uses to boot
>> up the install media. Try a different version of Ubuntu (older, newer
>> if a newer one exists) to see if it has the same problem.
>
> Thank you for your notice but as I mentioned the problem occurred
> first with my custom built kernel and the Ubuntu installation disk was
> used only to reproduce the error -- Ubuntu is not what I use anyhow,
> I'm on Debian since I switched from Slackware in 1995 ;-)
>
> But now it looks like we had an exotic hardware problem here. Just
> before the weekend the RAID controller reported a degraded array and
> switched to the hotspare disk. On Monday the original array was
> recreated and everything worked fine until Tuesday morning when the
> array again was degraded. But then since the disk was checked and
> reinserted into the array all problems are gone :-\
>
> Is it possible that such a problem is caused by bad contact within the
> drive bay connector?
>
> The reason why it occurred with ext3 only might then be that ext3
> stores it's backup superblocks at addresses which are otherwise unused
> by a largely empty filesystem.

(Ah, I missed this message first time around. Please always do a
reply-to-all for lkml.)

Bad contacts, sure, or (more likely) a marginal power supply? Can you
try a different enclosure, or a different power supply for the
enclosure?