SubjectRe: vfs: Add MS_FLUSHONFSYNC mount flag
On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 10:03:53PM +0900, Fernando Luis Vázquez Cao wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 22:24 +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:

> > > That is precisely the reason why we should use sensible defaults, which
> > > in this case means enabling barriers and flushing disk caches on
> > > fsync()/fdatasync() by default.
> > >
> > > Adding either a new mount option (as you yourself suggest below) or a
> > > sysfs tunable is desirable for those cases when we really do not need to
> > > flush the disk write cache to guarantee integrity (battery-backed block
> > > devices come to mind), or we want to be fast at the cost of potentially
> > > losing some data.
> >
> > Mount options are the wrong place for this. if you want to change
> > the behaviour of the block device, then it should be at that level.
>
> To be more precise, what we are trying to change is the behavior of
> fsync()/fdatasync(), which users might want to change on a per-partition
> basis. I guess this is the reason the barrier switch was made a mount
> option, and I just wanted to be consistent.

This has no place in the kernel. Use LD_PRELOAD to make fsync() a
no-op.

> > No mount option - too confusing for someone to work out what
> > combination of barriers and flushing for things to work correctly.
>
> As I suggested in a previous email, it is just a matter of using a safe
> combination by default so that users do not need to figure out anything.

Too many users think that they need to specify everything rather
than rely on defaults...

> > Just make filesystems issue the necessary flush calls or barrier IOs
>
> "ext3: call blkdev_issue_flush on fsync" and "ext4: call
> blkdev_issue_flush on fsync" in this patch set implement just that for
> ext3/4.
>
> > and allow the block devices to ignore flushes.
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to avoid sending bios down the block layer
> which we can know in advance are going to be ignored by the block
> device?

As soon as the block layer reports EOPNOTSUPPORTED to a barrier IO,
the filesystem will switch them off and not issue them anymore.

> > I don't think we want (1) at all, and I thought that if ext3/4 are using
> > barriers then the barrier I/O issued by the journal does the flush
> > already. Hence (3) is redundant, right?
>
> No, it is no redundant because a barrier is not issued in all cases. The
> aforementioned two patches fix ext3/4 by emitting a device flush only
> when necessary (i.e. when a barrier would not be emitted).

Then that is a filesystem fix, not something that requires VFS
modifications or new mount options....

Cheers,

Dave.
--