    SubjectRe: [patch 0/2] Make the touchpad on the MSI Wind netbook work
    Date
    On Tuesday 10 February 2009, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > On Wed 2009-02-04 19:15:40, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > A MSI Wind (100) netbook landed on my desk with the comment "touchpad
    > > doesn't work in Linux but works in XP".
    > >
    > > It turns out that there are a 2 separate issues with this netbook that
    > > needed fixing
    > >
    > > 1) The touchpad requires the equivalent of "i8042.reset", which resets
    > > the controller before probing. (This is done via a DMI quirk in patch
    > > 2/2)
    > >
    > > 2) About half the time, the reset will fail the first time. In the
    > > current code, this is fatal and then also disables the keyboard in
    > > addition to the touchpad. Ungood. Patch 1 makes the kernel retry the
    > > reset upto five times before giving up (it seems the 2nd or 3rd time
    > > succeed for me), and also adds an option to not make such a failure
    > > fatal to the keyboard.
    > >
    > > I don't think this is a regression, but it is pretty nasty behavior
    > > (the machine is useless without) so it could be a 2.6.29 candidate...
    >
    > Well, that beast was selling with linux preloaded, no? Or was it
    > another msi wind? In such case I'd expect old kernel to work... or
    > maybe some reasonable workaround somewhere...

    In fact I have an MSI Wind and the touchpad is works on it just fine with the
    current mainline.

    Perhaps this one is just another MSI Wind. What model is it?

    Rafael

      Last update: 2009-02-10 23:03    [W:0.023 / U:67.076 seconds]