SubjectRe: Oopses and ACPI problems (Linus 2.6.29-rc4)
I demand that Matthew Garrett may or may not have written...

> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 02:12:44PM +0000, Darren Salt wrote:
>> Reverting this fixes the rfkill oops; things work correctly again. I don't
>> know why this appears to be needed, since things work fine without this
>> patch ‒ both Fn-F2 and echoing to /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state ‒ even
>> when I start up with init=/bin/sh and test directly from that shell.

> If this is BIOS version specific I'm going to be upset, but the general
> case behaviour is that rfkill only works on the 901 if you either (a) pass
> force=1 to pciehp (which you shouldn't) or (b) have native support in a
> driver. My /guess/ is that you've got pciehp loaded, and there's some kind
> of awkward race between it and eeepc-laptop.

I have; and yes, pciehp_force=1.

As things stand, this is likely to be a problem for anybody using lenny on
Eee hardware and upgrading (on their own) to 2.6.29, given that that
workaround is present in eeepc-acpi-scripts in lenny.

Anyway, removing that option fixes the problem.

>> [long delay between these two lines]
>> input: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad as /class/input/input5
>> eeepc: Hotkey init flags 0x41
>> (not seen in .28 or .28.1; not checked later .28.*.)

> BIOS bug. There's an explicit delay in the eee bios for some reason, and
> I haven't found any straightforward way to avoid it.

BIOS bug or no, the fact remains that this is (AFAICS) a regression.

| + Use more efficient products. Use less. BE MORE ENERGY EFFICIENT.

10 PRINT "I used to do this in Dixons": POKE 23692,255: GO TO 10