SubjectRe: [RFC] What are the goals for the architecture of an in-kernel IR system?
Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 12:12:34PM -0200, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>> Em Fri, 4 Dec 2009 02:06:42 -0800
>> Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@gmail.com> escreveu:
>>
>>> evdev does not really care what you use as scancode. So nobody stops
>>> your driver to report index as a scancode and accept index from the
>>> ioctl. The true "scancode" will thus be competely hidden from userspace.
>>> In fact a few drivers do just that.
>> Let me better express here. It is all about how we'll expand the limits of those
>> ioctls to fulfill the needs.
>>
>> The point is that we'll have, let's say something like to 50-500 scancode/keycode tuples
>> sparsely spread into a 2^64 scancode universe (assuming 64 bits - Not sure if is there any
>> IR protocol/code with a bigger scancode).
>>
>> On such universe if we want to get all keycodes with the current ioctls for a scancode in
>> the range of 32 bits, we need to do something like:
>>
>> u32 code;
>> int codes[2];
>> for (code = 0; code <= (unsigned u32) - 1; code++) {
>> codes[0] = (int)code;
>> if (!ioctl(fd, EVIOCGKEYCODE, codes))
>> printf("scancode 0x%08x = keycode 0x%08x\n", codes[0], codes[1]);
>> }
>>
>> So, on the 32 bits case, we'll do about 4 billions calls to EVIOGKEYCODE ioctl to
>> read the complete scancode space, to get those 50-500 useful codes.
>>

> Right, currently there is no need to query all scancodes defined by
> device. Quite often drivers don't even know what scancodes device
> actually generates (ex AT keyboard).
>
> Could you describe in more detail how you are using this data?

It is useful if you want to dump the keycode maps into file with the current
scancode attribution, in order to modify some keystrokes.

Right now, programs like dumpkeys (from kbd package) allow you to dump for example
the attribution keys from your keyboard.

In the case of IR's this functionality is very important.

For example, you may need to replace the scancode/KEY_CHANNELUP tuple by scancode/KEY_UP,
in order to make your IR to work with some applications that don't recognize the IR
specific keycodes.

In practice, with such applications, you'll need to replace several different scancodes.

So, you may end by having different scancodes producing the same keycode, as such applications
aren't capable of differentiating an UP key from a CHANNELUP key. This is the case, for example
of the popular tvtime application.

The better way is to just generate a dump file, modify the needed entries and reload the
table by calling EVIOSKEYCODE, in order to use the new table.

I wrote a small application that just do the above, and I use to load some special tables
to work with some applications like tvtime and mplayer. (with mplayer, you need to map
<channel down> as KEY_H and <channel up> as KEY_K).

I hope that, after we finish addressing IR's, we'll finally have media applications handling
directly the proper keycodes, but people may still need to write different keycodes to do
other things. I used to have a keymap file in order to use an IR to control the slide show
with openoffice.

>> Due to the current API limit, we don't have any way to use the full 64bits space for scancodes.
>>

> Can we probably reduce the "scancode" space? ARe all 64 bits in
> protocols used to represent keypresses or some are used for some kind of
> addressing?

All the IR's I found with V4L/DVB use up to 16 bits code (or 24 bits, for NEC extended protocol).
However, currently, the drivers were getting only 7 bits, due to the old way to implement
EVIO[S|G]KEYCODE.

I know, however, one i2c chip that returns a 5 byte scancode when you press a key.
We're currently just discarding the remaining bits, so I'm not really sure what's there.

The usage of 7 bits, in practice, were meaning that it weren't possible to use
a different remote than the one provided by the device manufacturer, as the scancodes produced
by other remotes differ on more than 7 bits. Also, this means that, if your TV and your PC
are using the same protocol, like RC5, if you press a button on your TV remote, the PC will
also get it.

I know, however, one IR driver that produces 6 bytes when you press a key.
We're currently just discarding the remaining bits, so I'm not really sure
what else is there. Some badly optimized protocol? a bigger scancode? a protocol indication?

In general, the scancode contains 8 or 16 bits for address, and 8 bits for command.

However, the scancode table needs to handle the address as well, since we don't want that a
scancode meant to go to your TV to be handled by the PC, but we may want to get codes from
different addresses there, as we may need to use the address to differentiate the commands
meant to control the TV volume, for example, than the same command meant to control the PC
master volume.

>> if we use code[0] as an index, this means that we'll need to share the 32 bits on code[1]
>> for scancode/keycode. Even using an 32 bits integer for keycode, it is currently limited to:
>>
>> #define KEY_MAX 0x2ff
>> #define KEY_CNT (KEY_MAX+1)
>>
>> So, we have 10 bits already used for keycode. This gives only 22 bits for scancodes, if we share
>> codes[1] for both keycode/scancode. By sharing the 32 bits, we'll need to be care to not extend
>> KEY_MAX to be bigger than 0x3ff, otherwise the keytable won't be able to represent all keys of the
>> key universe.
>>
>> What is need for this case is that the arguments for get key/set key to be something like:
>>
>> struct {
>> u16 index;
>> u64 scancode;
>> u32 keycode;
>> };
>>

> Hmm, so what is this index? I am confused...

It is the sequence number of a scancode/keycode tuple stored at the keycode table.

Better than saying it in words, let me put a code snippet:

at include/linux/input.h, we'll add a code like:

struct input_keytable_entry {
u16 index;
u64 scancode;
u32 keycode;
} __attribute__ ((packed));

(the attribute packed avoids needing a compat for 64 bits)

#define EVIOGKEYCODEENTRY _IOR('E', 0x85, struct input_keytable_entry)

(and a similar ioctl for setkeycode)

This struct will be used by the new

at include/media/ir-common.h, we already have:

struct ir_scancode {
u16 scancode;
u32 keycode;
};

struct ir_scancode_table {
struct ir_scancode *scan;
int size;
};

The code at ir core that will handle the ioctl will be like:

static int ir_getkeycode_entry(struct input_dev *dev, struct input_keytable_entry *ike)
{
struct ir_scancode_table *rc_tab = input_get_drvdata(dev);

if (rc_tab->size >= ike->index)
return -EINVAL;

irk->scancode = rctab->scan->scancode;
irk->keycode = rctab->scan->keycode;

return 0;
}

---

As a reference, we currently implement the getkeycode at ir-keytable.c as:

static int ir_getkeycode(struct input_dev *dev,
int scancode, int *keycode)
{
int elem;
struct ir_scancode_table *rc_tab = input_get_drvdata(dev);

elem = ir_seek_table(rc_tab, scancode);
if (elem >= 0) {
*keycode = rc_tab->scan[elem].keycode;
return 0;
}

/*
* Scancode not found and table can't be expanded
*/
if (elem < 0 && rc_tab->size == IR_TAB_MAX_SIZE)
return -EINVAL;

/*
* If is there extra space, returns KEY_RESERVED,
* otherwise, input core won't let ir_setkeycode to work
*/
*keycode = KEY_RESERVED;
return 0;
}

where ir_seek_table is a function that checks returns the entry
that corresponds to the given scancode.

By using an index, both userspace and kernelspace code will be simpler
and fast enough to work even with the biggest scancode.

Cheers,
Mauro.

  Last update: 2009-12-06 12:07    [W:0.212 / U:0.440 seconds]