    SubjectRe: [RFC] What are the goals for the architecture of an in-kernel IR system?
    On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 01:09:14PM +0100, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:

    >>> Indeed. The sysfs bits are future work for both lirc and evdev
    >>> drivers. There is no reason to make the lirc merge wait for it.
    >>
    >> At this point, my plan is to try to finish cleaning up lirc_dev and
    >> lirc_mceusb at least over the weekend while at FUDCon up in Toronto,
    >> and resubmit them next week.
    >
    > Good plan IMHO. Having lirc_dev merged quickly allows in-kernel drivers
    > start supporting lirc.

    No, please, wait just a minute. I know it is tempting to just merge
    lirc_dev and start working, but can we first agree on the overall
    subsystem structure before doing so. It is still quite inclear to me.

    The open questions (for me at least):

    - do we create a new class infrastructure for all receivers or only for
    ones plugged into lirc_dev? Remember that classifying objects affects
    how udev and friemds see them and may either help or hurt writing PnP
    rules.

    - do we intend to support in-kernel sotfware decoders? What is the
    structure? Do we organize them as a module to be used by driver
    directly or the driver "streams" the data to IR core and the core
    applies decoders (in the same fashion input events from drivers flow
    into input core and then distributed to all bound interfaces for
    processing/conversion/transmission to userspace)?

    - how do we control which decoder should handle particular
    receiver/remote? Is it driver's decision, decoder's decision, user's
    or all of the above?

    - do we allow to have several decorers active at once for a receiver?

    - who decides that we want to utilize lirc_dev? Driver's themselves, IR
    core (looking at the driver/device "capabilities"), something else?

    - do we recognize and create input devices "on-fly" or require user
    intervention? Semantics for splitting into several input/event
    devices?

    Could anyone please draw me a picture, starting with a "receiver"
    piece of hardware. I am not concerned much with how exactly receiver is
    plugged into a particular subsystem (DVB/V4L etc) since it would be
    _their_ implementation detail, but with the flow in/out of that
    "receiver" device.

    Now as far as input core goes I see very limited number of changes that
    may be needed:

    - Allow to extend size of "scancode" in EVIOC{S,G}KEYCODE if we are
    unable to limit ourselves to 32 bits (keeping compatibility of course)

    - Maybe adding new ioctl to "zap" the keymap table

    - Adding more key EV_KEY/KEY_* definitons, if needed

    Thanks.

    --
    Dmitry

      Last update: 2009-12-03 18:57    [W:4.165 / U:0.212 seconds]