SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.32
Date
On Thursday 03 December 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>This release _feels_ long overdue due to two empty weeks for me (kernel
[...]
What may be a minor niggle during the build using my attached script:
======From the scripts output=========
now making a new initrd.2.6.32.img
resolveDevice: device spec expected
and copying it to /boot/initrd-2.6.32.img
===============
The 2nd line above is new, but a "man mkinitrd" doesn't address it on this
F10 box. Comment?

A cursory scan through the build history shows this unrelated but new
warning:
--------------------
drivers/acpi/acpica/tbfadt.c: In function ‘acpi_tb_create_local_fadt’:
/usr/src/linux-2.6.32/arch/x86/include/asm/string_32.h:74: warning: array
subscript is above array bounds
-------------------
I haven't rebooted to it yet so I'll save this & send (or expand) when I
have.
::::::::::
That was fun. I had to reboot twice, first time with the hdwe reset button,
2nd time by several ctl-alt-del's.

Both shutdowns, from .32-rc8 and from .32 did multiple Oopsen, naming
dcache.c line 670 as the culprit. With mount.cifs mentioned also.

That has been present and not a huge problem for several of the 31 and 32-rcX
kernels. I could capture with a camera, but I believe I have seen msgs here
on the list about it already.

The reason for the 2nd reboot is that udev did not enumerate, or initialize,
any of the devices on an FTDI extension cable that runs to the basement,
where an elderly color computer 3 lives. There is an additional hub on the
end of that cable, with several connections to it, and I had to find that
cable, unplug it from the local hub and re-plug it before the stuff on the
other end of the cable materialized. It is not normally powered, so the
enumeration usually stops at that hub in the basement (and usb power was on
it ok), with everything else coming alive as they are powered up. The 2nd
reboot was to see if it was all there if it was powered up, and it is.

I'll go back to lurking till next time. Many thanks to all.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Miksch's Law:
If a string has one end, then it has another end.
[unhandled content-type:application/x-shellscript]

  Last update: 2009-12-03 18:17    [W:0.089 / U:1.352 seconds]