    SubjectRe: PROBLEM: BUG: Constant freezes and kernel panics on a quad core (with dumps)

    >>> Regarding the PS, I have checked voltages with a multimeter and they are
    >>> more than fine, and the wattage is enough for the system, so it'd have
    >>> to be a very weird transient glitch that affects only memory access. See
    >>> also below.
    >> Most of the time transients will be the issue when a power supply causes
    >> problems and that can't be seen with a normal voltmeter. It's not
    >> typical for the rails to be low all the time unless the power supply is
    >> heavily overloaded.
    >
    > Or stone cold dead.
    >
    > You can't check any PSU with any multimeter I've ever seen unless it's a
    > catastrophic failure, or as you said, so overloaded that it can't
    > regulate (in which case it would have shut down if it were decent
    > quality...). Non-catastophic PSU failures are often filter problems
    > that a multimeter isn't fast enough to see. Many switchers are
    > deplorably noisy, and rely on the caps at the end of the transmission
    > line, so one poor quality or dried out cap on MB can screw the pooch
    > too.
    >
    >>> Any ideas to rule the MB out, other than "get a new one"?

    >>> Ruled out. I replaced with a 2GB DDR2, still got the bug: "BUG: Bad page
    >>> map in process".

    >>> Ruled out. The only card is the video card. I replaced it with a very
    >>> old PCI board and still got error. This also pretty much rules out that
    >>> the PS is underpowered, since I powered only the MB and the HD.
    >>>
    >>> Could it be one of the onboard things? I disabled everything but the
    >>> LAN, and still got it.

    > Pay very close attention to cleanliness. Dust works it's way into
    > connectors with vibration. Pull ram, and reseat. Resist the urge to
    > clean any connector with anything other than no-residue contact cleaner.
    >
    > Another thing to watch out for is crappy heat sink compound. That dries
    > out, doesn't conduct heat well enough. Under load, such a problem may
    > build VERY fast with modern CPU current draw. If all else fails, pull
    > your CPU heatsink, clean and re-apply fresh compound.
    >
    >>> I already reconnected everything twice. Could still be a loose
    >>> connection of one of the wires in the connector, but it's very very
    >>> unlikely to give such a specific error on memory access.

    >>> Yes you did, and I'll try to get another one to be sure, but it could
    >>> still be a software bug too.
    >
    > Yes, but try another unit. PSU is THE odds on favorite for random crap
    > with everything from PC hardware to very high dollar HW. It's the point
    > of maximum electrical stress. It's also a spot where many people try to
    > save money... big mistake that.
    >
    > (removes HW guy hat;)

    Follow-up, with thanks to everybody who helped: I tried a different PSU and still got the
    problem, and I also got a BSOD with Windows. So it seems to be a problem with the
    motherboard or the processor.

    Thanks a lot again,

      Last update: 2009-12-03 17:31    [W:0.026 / U:30.068 seconds]