SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] AlacrityVM guest drivers for 2.6.33
On 12/24/2009 11:36 AM, Gregory Haskins wrote:
>> As a twist on this, the VMware paravirt driver interface is so
>> hardware-like that they're getting hardware vendors to supply cards that
>> implement it. Try that with a pure software approach.
>>
> Any hardware engineer (myself included) will tell you that, generally
> speaking, what you can do in hardware you can do in software (think of
> what QEMU does today, for instance). It's purely a cost/performance
> tradeoff.
>
> I can at least tell you that is true of vbus. Anything on the vbus side
> would be equally eligible for a hardware implementation, though there is
> not reason to do this today since we have equivalent functionality in
> baremetal already.

There's a huge difference in the probability of vmware getting cards to
their spec, or x86 vendors improving interrupt delivery to guests,
compared to vbus being implemented in hardware.

> The only motiviation is if you wanted to preserve
> ABI etc, which is what vmware is presumably after. However, I am not
> advocating this as necessary at this juncture.

Maybe AlacrityVM users don't care about compatibility, but my users do.

  Last update: 2009-12-27 10:37    [W:0.091 / U:0.040 seconds]