    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] AlacrityVM guest drivers for 2.6.33

    > > This is Linux virtualization, where _both_ the host and the guest source code
    > > is fully known, and bugs (if any) can be found with a high degree of

    > It may sound strange but Windows is very popular guest and last I
    > checked my HW there was no Windows sources there, but the answer to that
    > is to emulate HW as close as possible to real one and then closed source
    > guests will not have a reason to be upset.
    > > determinism. This is Linux where the players dont just vanish overnight, and
    > > are expected to do a proper job.

    And without even getting into closed/proprietary guests, virt is useful
    for testing/developing/deploying many free OSes, eg FreeBSD, NetBSD,
    OpenBSD, Hurd, <random research OS>, etc. Not to mention just wanting a
    stable [virtual] platform to run <old enterprise Linux distro> on. So
    having a virtual platform whose interface doesn't change very often or
    very much has a lot of value at least in avoiding churn in guest OSes.

    - R.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-12-24 21:43    [W:0.036 / U:181.248 seconds]