SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] AlacrityVM guest drivers for 2.6.33
Date

> > This is Linux virtualization, where _both_ the host and the guest source code
> > is fully known, and bugs (if any) can be found with a high degree of

> It may sound strange but Windows is very popular guest and last I
> checked my HW there was no Windows sources there, but the answer to that
> is to emulate HW as close as possible to real one and then closed source
> guests will not have a reason to be upset.
>
> > determinism. This is Linux where the players dont just vanish overnight, and
> > are expected to do a proper job.

And without even getting into closed/proprietary guests, virt is useful
for testing/developing/deploying many free OSes, eg FreeBSD, NetBSD,
OpenBSD, Hurd, <random research OS>, etc. Not to mention just wanting a
stable [virtual] platform to run <old enterprise Linux distro> on. So
having a virtual platform whose interface doesn't change very often or
very much has a lot of value at least in avoiding churn in guest OSes.

- R.