SubjectRe: workqueue thing
Hello,

On 12/23/2009 05:49 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>> I wasn't talking about performance above. Easiness or flexibility to
>> extract concurrency opens up possibilities for new things or easier ways of
>> doing things. It affects the design process. You don't have to jump
>> through hoops for concurrency management and removing that restriction
>> results in lower amount of convolution and simplifies design.
>
> Which is why i said this in the next paragraph:
>
>>> ( Plus reduction in driver complexity can be measured as well, in the
>>> diffstat space.)
>
> A new facility that is so mysterious that it cannot be shown to have
> any performance/scalability/latency benefit _nor_ can it be shown to
> reduce driver complexity simply does not exist IMO.

Sure, I'm not arguing against that at all. I completely agree with
you and I'm gonna do that. I was trying to point out that it'll gonna
allow things to be designed in new ways which didn't make much sense
before because implementing full blown concurrency management would be
too costly just for that thing. And by definition, those things are
not in the current kernel because they didn't make sense before. For
me, the first thing which will make use of that would be in-kernel
media presence polling, so it's not all that mysterious.

Thanks.

--
tejun

  Last update: 2009-12-23 10:03    [W:0.203 / U:0.112 seconds]