    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] AlacrityVM guest drivers for 2.6.33
    On 12/21/09 11:37 AM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
    > On 12/21/2009 10:04 AM, Gregory Haskins wrote:
    >> No, B and C definitely are, but A is lacking. And the performance
    >> suffers as a result in my testing (vhost-net still throws a ton of exits
    >> as its limited by virtio-pci and only adds about 1Gb/s to virtio-u, far
    >> behind venet even with things like zero-copy turned off).
    > How does virtio-pci limit vhost-net? The only time exits should occur
    > are when the guest notifies the host that something has been placed on
    > the ring. Since vhost-net has no tx mitigation scheme right now, the
    > result may be that it's taking an io exit on every single packet but
    > this is orthogonal to virtio-pci.
    > Since virtio-pci supports MSI-X, there should be no IO exits on
    > host->guest notification other than EOI in the virtual APIC.

    The very best you can hope to achieve is 1:1 EOI per signal (though
    today virtio-pci is even worse than that). As I indicated above, I can
    eliminate more than 50% of even the EOIs in trivial examples, and even
    more as we scale up the number of devices or the IO load (or both).

    > This is a
    > light weight exit today and will likely disappear entirely with newer
    > hardware.

    By that argument, this is all moot. New hardware will likely obsolete
    the need for venet or virtio-net anyway. The goal of my work is to
    provide an easy to use framework for maximizing the IO transport _in
    lieu_ of hardware acceleration. Software will always be leading here,
    so we don't want to get into a pattern of waiting for new hardware to
    cover poor software engineering. Its simply not necessary in most
    cases. A little smart software design and a framework that allows it to
    be easily exploited/reused is the best step forward, IMO.

    Kind Regards,

      Last update: 2009-12-21 17:49    [W:0.022 / U:19.432 seconds]