    SubjectRe: trace/events: DECLARE vs DEFINE semantic
    On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 23:00 -0500, Masami Hiramatsu wrote:
    > Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
    > > In addition, I wonder if we should rename "CREATE_TRACE_POINTS" to
    > > something more suitable while we are here ? Basically, it will affect
    > > all TRACE_CLASS/TRACE_CLASS_EVENT/TRACE_EVENT from headers included
    > > after it's defined.
    >
    > Agreed, CREATE_TRACE_POINTS is a bit irritating thing :-(

    Well, I think the name could use some help, but I don't think it is the
    name that irritates you.

    > For example, if we call tracepoints defined in same-header on
    > several different files, we need to check other people have
    > already defined CREATE_TRACE_POINTS on another file, because
    > CREATE_TRACE_POINTS must be used once for each header...
    >
    > So, how about introducing a c file which is only for defining
    > tracepoints for kernel parts ? or defining tracepoints in
    > kernel at the beginning of kernel/tracepoint.c ? (and don't
    > touch tracepoints in modules)

    I think the proper fix is to have each tracepoint header have its own C
    file. I believe Christoph does this with xfs.

    Basically, we should have a:

    kernel/sched_trace.c that includes the include/trace/events/sched.h and
    does the define.

    And the same goes for other trace points.

    > e.g.
    >
    > @kernel/tracepoint.c
    > #define CREATE_TRACE_POINTS
    > #include <trace/events/sched.h>
    > #include <trace/events/...>

    We could do this for all that is defined in the include/trace/events.

    > @kernel/sched.c
    > #include <trace/events/sched.h> /* Just include events header */
    >
    > @fs/ext4/super.c (no change, since it can be module)
    > #define CREATE_TRACE_POINTS
    > #include <trace/events/ext4.h>

    Perhaps we should move out anything in include/trace/events that is also
    a module into its sub system?

    > Hmm?

    Hrmmm?

    -- Steve

      Last update: 2009-12-03 05:09    [W:0.047 / U:393.176 seconds]