SubjectRe: [RFC v2] Another approach to IR
On Dec 2, 2009, at 2:33 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

>>> I'm assuming that, by remote, you're referring to a remote receiver (and not to
>>> the remote itself), right?
>>
>> If we could separate by remote transmitter that would be the best I
>> think, but I understand that it is rarely possible?
>
> IMHO, the better is to use a separate interface for the IR transmitters,
> on the devices that support this feature. There are only a few devices
> I'm aware of that are able to transmit IR codes.

If I'm thinking clearly, there are only three lirc kernel drivers that support transmit, lirc_mceusb, lirc_zilog and lirc_serial. The mceusb driver was posted, so I won't rehash what it is here. The zilog driver binds to a Zilog z80 microprocessor thingy (iirc) exposed via i2c, found on many Hauppauge v4l/dvb devices (PVR-150, HVR-1600, HD-PVR, etc). The serial driver is fairly self-explanatory as well.

There are also a few userspace-driven devices that do transmit, but I'm assuming they're (currently) irrelevant to this discussion.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod@wilsonet.com

  Last update: 2009-12-02 20:57    [W:0.135 / U:0.152 seconds]