    SubjectRe: OOM kernel behaviour
    On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 11:26:37AM -0600, Christoph Lameter wrote:
    > On Tue, 1 Dec 2009, David John wrote:
    >
    > > Here are three logs from three days. Log3.txt is today's log and the OOM
    > > killer murdered Thunderbird as I was attempting to write this message.
    > > The kernel config is also attached.
    >
    > Hmmm... This is all caused by the HIGHMEM zone freecount going beyond min
    > which then triggers reclaim which for some reason fails (should not there
    > is sufficient material there to reclaim). There is enough memory in the
    > NORMAL zone. Wonder if something broke in 2.6.31 in reclaim? Mel?

    I'm not aware of breakage of that level, nor do I believe the page
    allocator problems are related to this bug.

    However, I just took a look at the logs from the three days and I see
    things like

    Nov 25 23:58:53 avalanche kernel: Free swap = 0kB
    Nov 25 23:58:53 avalanche kernel: Total swap = 2048248kB

    Something on that system is leaking badly. Do something like

    ps aux --sort vsz

    and see what process has gone mental and is consuming all of swap. It's
    possible that the OOM killer is triggering too easily but it's possible
    that a delayed triggering of the OOM killer would have been just that -
    a delay. Eventually all memory and all swap would be used.

    --
    Mel Gorman
    Part-time Phd Student Linux Technology Center

      Last update: 2009-12-02 16:57    [W:0.022 / U:99.536 seconds]