    SubjectRe: CONFIG_KPROBES=y build requires gawk
    On 12/16/2009 05:39 PM, Roland Dreier wrote:
    > Is there any reason not to apply the patch below, to allow more awk
    > implementations to be used? After all, it's not like we're going to put
    > non-ASCII characters into the map file...

    I guess the question is if it will break under any other circumstances,
    but I guess we can find those when we get to them.

    There was a long discussion about the use of awk on IRC today.
    Apparently mawk, in particular, is actively broken, because the
    maintainer believe that POSIX is crap. There are quite a few issues
    with it, according to reports.

    We need a sane scripting language available to the kernel build, and
    given all the problems we have had with different versions or even just
    sometimes different builds of sh, awk, and even bc -- plus the fact that
    those utilities just don't necessarily do what we want makes it very
    frustrating. Personally I think a dependency on Perl is better than the
    mess we're in; I understand other people disagree. What is definitely
    not acceptable, however, is the status quo. The situation is, quite
    frankly, ridiculous enough that perhaps the right thing to do is to
    write a small scripting engine and bundle it with the kernel. Something
    that does what we need it to do, but is only one implementation and
    something we can extend at will if need be.

      Last update: 2009-12-17 03:53    [W:0.020 / U:17.568 seconds]