SubjectRe: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NETWORK) vs. prctl(???)
Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 21:09, Michael Stone <michael@laptop.org> wrote:
>> That being said, I'm not wedded to the decision. Could you give me some
>> more specific examples of the kinds of changes in low-level userspace code
>> that you're worried about?
>
> As summarized in the paraphrased comment, it's a pain to deal with
> rlimit extensions. It's easy enough to do all this using prctl() with
> the same semantics and without forcing any other code to be modified.
> I let others more competent to judge the usefulness. But using rlimit
> as the interface is just plain wrong.

I still like the rlimit-based interface because I think it gives good intuition
about how to use the facility and about how it ought to be exposed to high-level
parts of userland but it certainly can't hurt to cook up a version based on
prctl() so that we can make a fair comparison of the two.

I'll see what I can come up with.

Regards,

Michael

  Last update: 2009-12-15 06:33    [W:0.192 / U:0.880 seconds]