    SubjectRe: Async suspend-resume patch w/ completions (was: Re: Async suspend-resume patch w/ rwsems)

    On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

    > > Give a real example that matters.
    >
    > I'll try. Let -> denote child-parent relationships and assume dpm_list looks
    > like this:

    No.

    I mean something real - something like

    - if you run on a non-PC with two USB buses behind non-PCI controllers.

    - device xyz.

    > If this applies to _resume_ only, then I agree, but the Arjan's data clearly
    > show that serio devices take much more time to suspend than USB.

    I mean in general - something where you actually have hard data that some
    device really needs anythign more than my one-liner, and really _needs_
    some complex infrastructure.

    Not "let's imagine a case like xyz".

    > But if we only talk about resume, the PCI bridges don't really matter,
    > because they are resumed before all devices that depend on them, so they don't
    > really need to wait for anyone anyway.

    But that's my _point_. That's the whole point of the one-liner patch. Read
    the comment above that one-liner.

    My whole point was that by doing the whole "wait for children" in generic
    code, you also made devices - such as PCI bridges - have to wait for
    children, even though they don't need to, and don't want to.

    So I suggested an admittedly ugly hack to take care of it - rather than
    some complex infrastructure.

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-12-15 16:35    [W:0.028 / U:60.096 seconds]