    SubjectRe: RFC: A proposal for power capping through forced idle in the Linux Kernel
    Salman Qazi <> writes:
    > We'd like to get as much of our stuff upstream as we can. Given that
    > this is a somewhat sizable chunk of work, it would be impolite of me
    > to just send out a bunch of patches without hearing the concerns of
    > the community. What are your thoughts on our design and what do we
    > need to change to get this to be more acceptable to the community? I
    > also would like to know if there are any existing pieces of
    > infrastructure that this can utilize.

    There were a lot of discussions on this a few months ago in context
    of the ACPI 4 "power aggregator" which is a similar (perhaps
    slightly less sophisticated) concept.

    While there was a lot of talk about teaching the scheduler about this
    the end result was just a driver which just starts real time threads
    and then idles in them. This is in current mainline.

    It might be a good idea to review these discussions in the archives.

    -- -- Speaking for myself only.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-12-15 00:23    [W:0.025 / U:161.520 seconds]