    SubjectRe: [git pull] drm
    On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Pekka Paalanen <> wrote:

    > The big question is what we call ctxprogs: binary blobs that are
    > clearly executable, running somewhere in the GPU. No-one seems
    > to know, if those are copyrightable, or if they can be redistributed.
    > In their current form, they have been recorded from the nvidia
    > proprietary driver using mmiotrace, and copied verbatim for each
    > card type.
    > Would you be willing to pull that kind of stuff into Linux?
    > I would not even dare sending them to the Linux firmware
    > repository, since they have some license requirements, too.

    This seems similar to the unfortunate situation with the b43 wireless
    card firmware. Broadcom refuses to provide the firmware under a
    redistributable license (or even as files separate from their
    proprietary drivers). This did not stop b43 from being included in
    Linux. Distributions have dealt with it by providing a script that
    downloads the proprietary driver and extracts the firmware from it to
    files in /lib/firmware.

    Do you think that a similar solution for nouveau would be legally
    problematic? Or is the issue technical, since you mention that the
    ctxprogs were obtained by mmiotrace, instead of a more straightforward
    extraction from the binary driver blobs?

    Will Dyson

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-12-10 21:37    [W:0.040 / U:30.924 seconds]